September 10, 2009

What makes a grown woman cry?


Ah, yes. What makes a grown woman cry? Just tell this woman that her tiny, little, innocent, 4 year old, baby girl is going to an all-french school for 6 1/2 hours every day, 5 days a week, after spending almost every moment of these past 4 years solely in her mother's care. (Did I mention she doesn't speak french?) Yes, this will bring a woman to tears...probably late at night when she can't sleep because all she can think about is how quickly these last 4 years have gone...and wonder how her little one is going to ask to go to the bathroom...and hope she's not the one who is ill-mannered because she doesn't understand what's being asked of her.

At this point, people, homeschooling is very tempting (and never ruled out). But, for now, I guess I must come to terms with the fact that it would be to Murielle's detriment for me to hold her back forever just to make me more comfortable. (ever hear of Edith and Edie Beales - Grey Gardens?...nuff said)

So, I have shed tears because this is all so new and foreign to me...and from what I've heard, it will feel the same with every new school year for some of us. Perhaps things will change down the road - maybe we will be part of the homeschooling crew...or maybe we'll switch schools...or maybe she'll continue in french school all the way through. All I know is that we're going with God's peace in every moment and trusting that His plans are perfect.

She will be fine.

And so will I.




(PS - It also helps when your child comes home from this first day of school smiling (but exhausted), speaking "baby french" in her own adorable way - telling of all the interesting details of the day, while asking repeatedly, "Mom, how do you say {random word here} in french?".)

No comments: