September 20, 2009

Why'd ya have to go and make things so contemplative?



I love reading books, but only if they make me think. I'm not a big novel reader (unless I'm trying to put myself to sleep - ha) I finished reading a book this morning that definitely made me think. The Journey of Desire, by John Eldredge (who also wrote Wild at Heart and Captivating) is the kind of book that helps you realize there is more to life than just present circumstances. In fact, this life is just a prelude to the real life we will live in heaven. I don't think we even know the half of it. But if we have eternity in our hearts (like the Bible says we do) and on our minds, then we will see things from a different perspective.

I know, for myself, it has been easy to revert back into focusing on what's right in front of me. Take money, for example; something that we all think about on a regular basis. Even if I am trusting God for every cent I make, or believing God that this certain thing will be taken care of, or asking God to help provide for this...in some cases am I not still focusing on money? Even if I am trusting God? But what would happen if I were to completely focus on Jesus in the first place? Not focusing on how Jesus provides for me, or how Jesus meets my every need...but just focus on Him alone. What would happen then? Isn't it safe to say that my needs would be met anyway?

If I never asked for another thing and just fixed my eyes on Jesus and His beauty, wonder and glory, recognizing His awesomeness above all else, wouldn't I be able to experience His blessing and riches (that He has already completely opened up to me) with a greater capacity? Do you think it would be easier for those things we want/need (that next big break, or the healing or the financial breakthrough) to become idols in our lives, if we constantly are focused on them, instead of Jesus? I'm just asking. Do you see what I'm saying? When we are reaching for those things first (even if we're trusting God for those things) our hearts are still longing for them, not Jesus. But when we are infatuated with Jesus; forgetting about present circumstances and our place in this temporal life, all our needs will be met without us even speaking a word (I'm not saying we shouldn't pray or ask or believe - we should definitely do so - but I'm trying to make a point). I believe the natural thing, at that point, would be that we'd walk in those blessings and enjoy them, while our eyes are set on the true prize: Jesus. We would be able to live in God's abundance here on earth while deeply recognizing how temporary this life really is. And then even the best of this life (which we are meant to experience) would only draw more attention and glory to Jesus and point us to eternity, instead of becoming our earthly idols. Your thoughts?

No comments: