June 12, 2012

Baby Acne...yuck

Each one of my babies has had pretty bad acne that started right around 1 month old and lasted for a few weeks.  It was gross.  I have no idea why they've gotten it, but many people say it's their body's way of getting rid of the leftover hormones from pregnancy and labor.  Others have said it's a reaction to their new environment with all the smells and substances in the air outside the womb.  Either way, I have felt bad each time because it looks gross and it just seems so uncomfortable for them.

Well, I learned something with our newest babe.  My SIL told me that she heard from a friend that putting breastmilk on your baby's face will clear up that yucky baby acne.  I realize it sounds incredibly simple and primitive, but to be honest, those type of remedies have been some of the best for our family.  It shouldn't have to be complicated.  So, I thought I would give it a try.  You know what?  It actually works.

Baby A has had the clearest skin out of all my babies.  When a little bit of acne started showing up around 3 weeks old, I started treating his face with breastmilk by "washing" his face in it after/during each feeding.  Everytime I did, the redness immediately disappeared.  By doing this every couple of days or so, we almost completely avoided the baby acne altogether!  I bet if I had applied the milk at each feeding he wouldn't have had even the little bit of acne he ended up with.

So if you have a new baby, give it a try and let me know if it works for you!  I'm so happy it worked for us - especially since I kiss those soft little cheeks about a hundred times a day!  :)


1 comment:

Patty-Jean from LittleQuiver said...

Oh What a Cutie! Love, love the sink baths....I'm almost a little sad when they no longer fit in the bathroom sink! wonderful remedy Estelle! My first midwife told me 'when in doubt put breastmilk on it....inside sore ears, any type of skin ailment, any and all the above" she use to say.