July 25, 2007

Growing up


Our little snuggle bug is turning two in exactly eight days. I have mixed feelings about her growing up. I know it would be unusual if she didn't grow up, but part of me wants to keep her in that snuggly, baby, cutesy stage. I know I'm having another baby in about 4 months and I'm sure I'll get lots of cuddle time with him, but he will be different than my little Muri. After all, she is my first. I'm sure almost every mother on the planet has thought the same things about their growing children. Somehow it just doesn't seem right that they change so fast...and yet, I love every new stage that comes along. This age has to be my favorite so far. Muri is constantly learning new things and coming out with phrases that make me laugh aloud (and sometimes cringe - she is a little copy cat).
I consciously make an effort to soak up my time with Muri. This summer we have done so many wonderful things together and had many different outings. I took her to a quiet (not-so-popular) park a few times over the past couple of weeks and it is rapidly becoming one of my favorite places in my city. M loves it too because it's got so many different elements to explore. She loves the "zebo" (as she calls it), which is the gazebo, and wouldn't stop talking about it for the rest of the afternoon. We met a nice older lady, her husband and her dog (who tried to steal Muri's teddy bear) at the park. The lady said, "so when is he due?" (referring to my protruding belly bump)...and I told her. Then she proceeded to tell me that she could tell it was boy by the way I am carrying. I just smiled, nodded, and said, "Oh..". I am having a boy this time around, but the funny thing is, when I was pregnant with M, almost everyone (strangers included) said I was having a boy by the way I was carrying. But obviously, Muri is as girl as you can get. I have carried the exact same way with both babies, I have weighed the same so far and I predict this baby will be a big one just like Muri was (9lbs). So, I am living proof that you can't tell what you're having by the shape of your belly or by the way you're "carrying". But I don't have the heart to tell that to people...so I just smile, nod, and say, "Oh..".

No comments: