April 7, 2011

Rice Chia Pudding

What do you do with leftover rice?
Most times I find myself frying it up in a skillet with some tender-crisp veggies, but this time I thought I'd do something different.  Instead of savory, I went sweet and came up with my own twist on the classic, rice pudding.  Try it.  Well you can't try any of mine cause there's none left.  But make some...then try it.  :)



2 cups almond milk
2 cups cooked brown rice
1-2 Tbsp chia seeds
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp currants
1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)


Now, because I am all about EASY recipes as well as healthy, you can basically put all this in a pot at once and simmer it until the liquid has cooked down and it has the consistency you like.  You should still be able to pour it though, so if you need to add more almond milk (or cream) to make it smooth, feel free to do so.  Fill some cute dessert bowls and refrigerate if you want to.  After trying this, I loved it WAY more when it was hot off the stove with a dollop of ricotta on top!  It was a big hit with the kids too!
It looks different than traditional rice pudding (because of the black chia and currants), but it's safe to say this is a beautiful alternative!  Let me know how you like it!  It's super quick and super easy!



1 comment:

elizabeth primo photography said...

looks so good. i might try. yummmmmmmm